top of page

Domestic Relations Practice Area

Orders of Protection

If your spouse or partner has verbally threatened you or physically assaulted you, you should seek an Order of Protection.  Similarly, if you believe that you and/or your children are subject to an immediate and present danger of domestic abuse, you are entitled to an Order of Protection.
An Ex Parte Order of Protection usually prohibits the alleged abuser from accessing your residence, your school, your place of employment, and possibly your children’s school or daycare until a hearing can be held. Likewise, an alleged abuser will be prohibited from initiating any contact with you, including contact by telephone, letter, or electronic means (text messaging, social media, etc.). An Ex Parte Order of Protection may also address the issue of temporary custody. 
If you are granted an Ex Parte Order of Protection, a hearing will be held to determine whether you are entitled to a Final Order of Protection.  At the hearing, you will need to present sufficient evidence to prove that a Final Order of Protection is necessary to ensure your safety and/or the safety of your children.
If the alleged abuser violates the Ex Parte Order of Protection or a Final Order of Protection, the alleged abuser may be arrested and/or charged with a misdemeanor.  
M.W. Law, PLLC can help you determine whether you should petition the court for an Ex Parte Order of Protection.  If you are in immediate danger, contact your local police department or call 911.
If you are wrongfully accused of domestic violence, M.W. Law, PLLC can defend you. If you need assistance defending an Order of Protection, please call M.W. Law, PLLC to schedule a consultation. 

bottom of page